Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Flash Prose, 9 Sept.

Seven Gong Man

On the round, Forest Green table on my deck, there's a stainless steel bowl that mom used for salads, and a rusty chef's knife I use to clean the moss and dirt from between the cedar planks.

When I hear a noise in the alley, the yard, or around the front of the house that I don't recognize, whether it's early in the morning, or after dark, I use the back edge of the knife to strike the rim of the bowl seven times. Exactly seven sharp strikes, and I pause and only strike the bowl after the last pure ring of the gong has vibrated away. It's very deliberate and even, and timed almost perfectly.

Whoever is around to hear the beautiful bold resonance of the bowl must wonder...where is the sound coming from, what is it for, and who is this seven gong man?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WILL REJECT ANY CHINESE OR JAPANESE IDIOMATIC WRITING, AUTOMATICALLY.