Sunday, August 21, 2011

Two One Hundred Word Stories


Wild
The county abatement officer posted little, red banners all over my front yard. The markers were plastic flags taped to wire stakes.  He pushed a hundred of them into the soil in the front yard. I planted my yard to save water by using ”indigenous plants".  The officer’s  job was to mark noxious weeds for the control team to dig up or spray.  Not knowing a weed from a wildflower; my yard was overgrown with nutsedge, skeletonweed, sowthistle, spurge, knapweed, gorse, toadflax, puncturevine and purple loosestrife. The plants were healthy and had grown to the height of my roofline.

Wild
She was wild. Untamed. A golden-haired beauty from a big country family. When I saw her with her brothers and sisters, I knew she was the one I wanted.  Her father was nowhere to be seen.  I left because I had to ponder things.  I went back to her house in a few days and spoke to her family. We made arrangements so I was able to take her with me that day. Money changed hands.  It was legal in the area.  No questions were asked. It was a big litter, and Molly was the fattest of them all.

[Published on line at 100 Word Stories, 8-21. Topic "Wild" ]

These are not quality pieces, but are good exercises to use when writing a story that has to be exactly 100 words AND the topic is assigned.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WILL REJECT ANY CHINESE OR JAPANESE IDIOMATIC WRITING, AUTOMATICALLY.