Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Using "I" correctly...

By Toni Bowers
September 14, 2011, 8:30 AM PDT
Takeaway: Think using big words makes you sound smarter? Think again.

If I had to pick one grammatical blunder that annoys me more than any other it would be the mangling of direct objects in an attempt to sound smarter. More specifically, how some people will use “I’ incorrectly, as in, “My grandfather left his money to her and I.” One of my elementary school teachers seared into my head an easy technique for checking this kind of construction-remove the first direct object phrase (her and) then see if the sentence makes sense. In this case it would be “My grandfather left his money to I.” Of course, this is not correct–the word “I” should be “me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WILL REJECT ANY CHINESE OR JAPANESE IDIOMATIC WRITING, AUTOMATICALLY.