Tuesday, March 17, 2015

My poem, Retirement

Retirement

When I retired,
I resisted rejoicing in more
than one dog.

Today, at dawn,
two dogs
call me to task;
call me to my lessons.

I wipe out their bowls
pouring a measure of food
under their direction.
Listening to them
crunch the hard bits
is delicious.

After eating
they move to the water bucket.
The sound as they lap the water;
seeing it drip from their muzzles
makes me smile,
lean in
to hear more closely.

If they had feathers they wouldn’t be more magical.

-- Published in April, 2015 anthology, by Rainshadow Poetry, Sequim

1 comment:

  1. This is a fine poem whether one is retired or not. I like it because I have been feeding two feral cats for years now and they present similar if different delights. Never thought I'd write poems about cats but that's happened. It took two years to feel retired and now I wonder how I ever went to work. Five children, though, in search of food and degrees are a mighty motivator.

    ReplyDelete

I WILL REJECT ANY CHINESE OR JAPANESE IDIOMATIC WRITING, AUTOMATICALLY.