Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Performance Poem by Angie Huckstep


Why I Can't Forget Him 

Because I'm in love
Because I'm addicted.

Because his name is tattooed on my wrist.
            See?
            Right here.

Because I swallowed his soul whole
            and now it dances
                        the rumba
            in my belly.
                                    And I tell you --
                                                            I have the worst indigestion
                                                of my entire
                                                            life.
                        I belch up emotions,
                                                impractical,
                                                            unexplainable.
                        They taste of his cologne.

Because I  placed his existence
                                                on my tongue
                                                until he dissolved,
                                                            and I danced
                                                                        in a rainbow dream.
                        His happiness made me high.
                        His pain made my heart
                                                                                    stop.

Because I learned him
                                    through osmosis,
                        head pressed to
                                    heart,
                                    listening.
            Each thu-thump
                        a thought
            whispered discreetly.

Because I injected his very being
            into my veins
            until, now,
                        he runs thick
                        in my blood.

---------------
Angie is fellow writer's workshop participant at Peninsula College this month.  -tp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I WILL REJECT ANY CHINESE OR JAPANESE IDIOMATIC WRITING, AUTOMATICALLY.